PARISH UPDATE PAGE
This webpage lists or links to the latest correspondence from our parish and Metropolis; our livestream service schedule and spiritual/educational resources. Please check back often. Click HERE to sign up for our email news and updates.
With God's help, Liturgical Services have continued at Ascension throughout the COVID-19 Pandemic in compliance with Metropolis of Chicago directives and CDC and state and local governing authorities. All services have, and will continue to be, streamed live on our website and social medial platorms. As the landscape continues to change and we enter different phases of welcoming the faithful back to our parish home, we will email the parish and post all announcements below.
Please do not hesitate to call our office at 847.482.1200 with any questions.
LATEST INFORMATION ON THE PLAN TO REUNITE
- June 4, 2020: Metropolis of Chicago: The Divine Liturgy: Special Directives and Liturgical Rubrics, June 3, 2020
- June 2, 2020: Revision of the May 20, 2020 Guidelines
- May 30, 2020: Update and Summary of Levels of Participation
- May 30, 2020: Metropolis Statement Regarding Sacraments of Confession and Holy Unction
- May 28, 2020: Illinois Department of Public Health COVID-19 Guidance for Places of Worship and Providers of Religious Services
- May 20,2020: Metropolis of Chicago issues "Reuniting Our People With Their Parish Homes" directive
FOR THE LATEST HEALTH INFORMATION:
Metropolis of Chicago Coronavirus Resource Center
Communication Updates and Liturgical Messages
ASCENSION LIVESTREAM SERVICE SCHEDULE
Until we can worship together in our church home, we will be live streaming each Divine Service HERE. The stream will also be carried live on our Facebook page and our YouTube channel! If you miss the livestream, all services will be archived on our livestream webpage.
Click on the service to follow along with the text provided by the AGES Initiatives.
- Sunday, May 31: Fathers of the 1st Council 8:15 a.m. Orthros | 9:30 a.m. Divine Liturgy
- Saturday, June 6: Saturday of Souls 8 a.m. Orthros | 9 a.m. Divine Liturgy | 5 p.m. Vespers
- Sunday, June 7: Holy Pentecost 8:15 a.m. Orthros | 9:30 a.m. Divine Liturgy followed by Kneeling Prayers
VIDEO UPDATES FROM FR. SOTIRI
- May 30, 2020: With Christ We Are One: Fr. Sotiri's Metropolis of Chicago Separate But United webpage Video Message
- May 7, 2020: Video Message: Sponsor Fr. Sotiri in the Metropolis Cross Town 5K
- March 22- present: Click to View archived Divine Services and Sermons on our Livestream Page
- April 11, 2020: A Video Message from Fr. Sotiri for Holy Week 2020
- April 7, 2020: Small Paraklesis and Sermonette
- April 5, 2020: Sunday of St. Mary of Egypt: Orthros, Liturgy and Sermon
- April 3, 2020 Akathist Hymn and Sermonette
- March 31, 2020: Small Paraklesis and Sermonette
- March 29, 2020: Sunday of St. John Climacus: Orthros, Liturgy and Sermon
- March 27, 2020 4th Salutations to the Theotokos and Sermon
- March 25, 2020 Annunciation Feast Day and Greek Independence Day: Orthros, Liturgy, Doxology
- March 24, 2020 Video Message from Fr. Sotiri regarding Mt. Athos Vigil
- March 22, 2020 Sunday of the Holy Cross: Orthros, Liturgy and Sermon
- March 19, 2020 Video Message from Fr. Sotiri
- March 16, 2020 Video Message from Fr. Sotiri
April 19, 2020: Come Receive the Light Archbishop Elpidophoros invites all to come and receive the Light of Christ
Monday, April 13: Archbishop Elpidophoros Broadcasts Services of Holy Week from the Archdiocese. Click HERE for more information. The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America launched an updated COVID-19 Resource Center today. Click HERE for the press release.
SUNDAY: April 12th, CBS news program, 60 Minutes, will showcase the rebuilding of the Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church and National Shrine at the World Trade Center. For more information, see GOARCH's announcement HERE.
April 11, 2020: Message By His All-Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew at the Beginning of Holy and Great Week
LITURGICAL RESOURCES and PRAYERS
Metropolis Separate But United webpage: The Metropolis of Chicago shares sermonettes, prayers, reflections or stories from the clergy members and others of the Metropolis on a daily basis.
Prayers posted on the Metropolis of Chicago COVID-19 Resource Page
OUR HOMES ARE A SMALL CHURCH: Links for Learning
FOR CHILDREN & TEENS:
- Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Religious Ed at Home
- Tending the Garden Virtual Sunday School
- Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Lesson Plans & Activities
- Be the Bee: Complete Series of Videos
- Lives of the Saints: St. Porphyrios
- Vessel of Grace: The Life of Saint Paisios the Athonite
- Y2AM Ministry At Home Resources
- Y2AM You Tube Channel
- OCF at Home: An on-campus connection for college-students
- Metropolis of Chicago YAL Virtual Connection Webinar Series Fridays @ 6 p.m.
Each Friday at 6pm, the Metropolis of Chicago Youth and Young Adults Ministry will be streaming a live Salutations Service followed by an Open Question Forum at 7pm to all via Zoom. You can submit names to be lifted up in Prayer to the Theotokos in these difficult times.
- Fanari Camp Prayer Services, Wednesdays at 3 p.m.
Every Wednesday at 3 PM, youth are invited to Fanari Prayer Service via Instagram and Facebook Live. The Metropolis of Chicago Youth and Young Adults Ministry will also be taking names to pray for so if you would like to submit names, please go to their Instagram Story to submit names.
- Practical ways of turning “Lockdown” with children into a peaceful and blessed time within our homes
- GOARCH Library: Learn About the Orthodox Christian Faith
- Ancient Faith Podcasts
- Ancient Faith Ministries
- Mobile Apps and Books
- Discovering Orthodox Christianity Video Series
- Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Center for Family Care
- Greek Orthodox Archdiocese "Comfort Food: Daily Reflections Just for Families"
- Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops Spiritual and Activity Resource Page
POSTPONED or CANCELLED: The following events have either been cancelled or postponed. Stay tuned for updated information in light of the rapidly changing developments with COVID-19. Jr. Olympics (cancelled) Fanari Camp (cancelled) Philoptochos Veterans’ Dinner (postponed) Metropolis Inaugural Servant Banquet (postponed to 11/6) Feed the Hungry (cancelled) Ionian Village (cancelled) Parish Golf Outing 2020 (cancelled) Lighthouse Camp (postponed) Patriarch Visit to U.S. (cancelled) National Clergy-Laity Conference (postponed)
- DONATE BLOOD Visit the American Red Cross website by clicking HERE. Vitalant (formerly Life Source) - has two locations in Lake County. Please schedule your appointment in advance by calling 877-258-4825 or visiting vitalant.org
Gurnee Donation Center
5250-1 Grand Ave.
Gurnee, IL 60031
Lake Bluff Donation Center
223 Waukegan Rd.
Lake Bluff, IL 60044
Click HERE to view full monthly calendar