Ascension's new MISSIONS MINISTRY was recently formed to participate in, and support, the work of the Orthodox Christian Mission Center (OCMC) in fulfilling the Great Commission of Christ. Just before Christ ascended into Heaven, He gave the Great Commission to His disciples:
THE GREAT COMMISSION
Matthew: 28 Verses 19-20
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, even to the end of the age.
In response to this Great Commission, the parish family of Ascension created a Mission Ministry to help spread the Gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and His Holy Orthodox Church locally, nationally and globally. Our goal as a community is to work closely with OCMC and engage as ambassadors in carrying out its mission. OCMC is an agency of the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the United States of America. Learn more about OCMC by visiting its website HERE.
JANUARY & FEBRUARY 2022 VIRTUAL MISSION OPPORTUNITY!
Are you interested in a Virtual outreach to the community of Holy Transfiguration of our Lord Church in NewHalen, Alaska? Individuals who can share about the importance of Religious Education or Iconography are great candidates to teach. This Team is reserved for the Ascension Orthodox Church in Lincolnshire, IL.
Dates: January 1/29, 2/5, 2/12, 2/19, 2022
For more information, please contact David Rutkowski at firstname.lastname@example.org
AUGUST 2022: ASCENSION OF OUR LORD ALASKA MISSION TRIPI
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live, serve, and worship alongside Orthodox Christians from another country? Have you ever wanted to make a difference in the world? Orthodox Mission Teams have helped thousands of Faithful just like you to teach, minister to youth, build schools and churches, offer healthcare and more.
In partnership with the OCMC, this year, God-willing, Ascension will embark on our first mission trip to Newhalen Alaska in August 2022 (August 8 - 17, 2022). It has been over two hundred years since the Orthodox Christian faith was proclaimed on the shores of Alaska.
We are putting a Team together from Ascension to join Father David of Holy Transfiguration of Our Lord Church and the Orthodox Community in Alaska and strengthen youth ministry efforts in the ILIAMNA region by assisting at the annual St. Juvenaly Youth Camp which has made a difference in the lives of the youth from the Iliamna Lake region since 1984.
In the footsteps of St. Herman in Alaska who was canonized 50 years ago, and the missionary saints who proceeded him, we pray that we can continue their good works to the Glory of God.
OCMC has already reserved this Mission Trip for our Parish. Volunteer participants will work side by side with community elders to set up the camp and prepare lessons. The team will be hosted by Fr. David Askoak and is specifically reserved for the Ascension Orthodox Church in Lincolnshire, IL. Space is limited for this life-changing opportunity. If you are interested, please contact DavidRutkowski: email@example.com, who will give you much greater detail about this mission. You can also leave a message for David through the church office at 847.482.1200.
- Community of Grace: An Orthodox Christian Year in Alaska Mary Ellis Cook (available in Ascension's Bookstore)
- Herman: A Wilderness Saint: From Sarov, Russia to Kodiak, Alaska (Jordanville: The Printshop of St. Job of Pochaev), 2012. An account of the life and works of St. Herman.
- Orthodox Alaska: A Theology of Mission (Crestwood: SVS Press), 1992. Oleksa, Michael. Looks at the evangelization of Alaska as a model for Orthodox mission work
- Missionaries, Monks and Martyrs: Making Disciples of All Nations (Minneapolis: Light & Life), 1994. Veronis, Luke. An excellent resource that looks at the lives of missionary saints as a model for mission work.
- Facing the World: Orthodox Christian Essays on Global Concerns (Crestwood: SVS Press), 2003. Yannoulatos, Anastasios. Archbishop Anastasios is leading authority today in Orthodox missions.
- Mission in Christ’s Way: An Orthodox Understanding of Mission (Brookline: Holy Cross Orthodox Press), 2010. Yannoulatos, Anastasios. A must-read for Orthodox Mission studies.
- A Mind for Missions: 10 Ways to Build Your World Vision (Colorado Springs: NavPress), 1987. Borthwick, Paul. Offers great suggestions on how to make missions a regular part of our everyday lives.
- Eastern Orthodox Mission Theology Today, American Society of Missiology, No. 10 (Minneapolis: Light & Life), 1986. Stamoolis, James J. A good overview of Orthodox missiology.