GOYA is the Ascension of Our Lord's high school youth group. The primary focus of this ministry is to educate our youth about our Greek Orthodox Christian Faith and teach them to incorporate those teachings into their daily lives. Through discussions, Diakonia (Service) projects, activities and spending time together, Goyans learn "how" to live our Greek Orthodox Faith.
In the 2021/22 Ecclesiastical year, Ascension's GOYA program will focus on a nationally renowned program developed by Faithtree Resources called "The Relationship Project." Using "The Relationship Project" as a guide, supplemented by many fun activities planned throughout the year, Fr. Sotiri will deliver a truly special year of content that will present the life-giving road map to Christ through the lens of a teenager.
GOYA begins September 20th and meets weekly at the church on Monday evening from 7:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. from September through May. If you are in High School please come and join us!
Click HERE to view the 2021-22 Schedule!
Here are a few highlights of “The Relationship Project”
- Materials that are uniquely Orthodox, rooted in the faith traditions of our Church yet focused on how we live and learn in the twenty-first century
- Relevant, and highly engaging content offered around 3 themes: Understanding Our Identity with God, family and friends; Understanding Intimacy with God and our heart; Understanding Mental Health as we discuss anxiety and depression
- Meets teens at their level and helps them explore difficult issues facing them today in a safe space while forming lifelong friendships along the way
- High-quality, professional material that has been developed and vetted by more than 50 theologians, hierarchs, priests, educational professionals, laity and youth
- Successfully implemented by more than 200 Orthodox churches around the world
- Heralded by many as one of the best programs to come to the Orthodox faith in a long time!
Learn more about “The Relationship Project” HERE
Learn more about Faithtree HERE
Purchase Supporting Materials for the 2021/22 Program HERE
ASCENSION and METROPOLIS
PAST, PRESENT & ONGOING YOUTH EVENTS
- A SPECIAL YOUTH NIGHT: Join us on on Friday, October 15th when we welcome Fr. Stavros Akrotirianakis from St. John the Baptist Church in Tampa, Florida, who will present a program for our youth entitled, “Encouraging Each Other.” Fr. Stavros is a very motivational and engaging speaker who has many years of experience ministering to youth. The evening will be filled with spiritual nourishment, fellowship and fun! Parents, this is a drop-off event. Click HERE for more information and to RSVP by October 12th.
- FANARI SUMMER CAMP
Fanari Camp is open to rising 6th grade through rising 12th grade campers. The Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago will open registration for the summer 2022 Fanari came on March 7, 2022, at noon. The 2022 Summer camp dates are:
Session 1: Sunday, June 19 – Saturday, June 25, 2022
Session 2: Sunday, June 26 – Saturday, July 2, 2022
Session 3: Sunday, July 3 – Saturday, July 9, 2022
Session 4: Sunday, July 10 – Saturday, July 16, 2022
Session 5: Sunday, July 17 – Saturday, July 23, 2022
- LIGHTHOUSE FOR HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS: The Metropolis of Chicago launched a new ministry for high school graduates called Lighthouse. Lighthouse will organize, promote, and execute an annual week-long summer camp aimed at preparing high school seniors for the social, emotional, practical, and spiritual challenges they will encounter in the college experience and beyond. The 2021 Summer Camp took place June 26 - July 3 at Marquette University in Milwaukee and registration opened in February. For more info, click HERE.
- Y2AM Ministry At Home Resources Check this wonderful resource out!
- GOA Center for Family Care Comfort Food for Families
- Fanari Camp FACEBOOK Page and Instagram
- JUNIOR OLYMPICS Memorial Day Weekend.
- IONIAN VILLAGE
CrossRoad is a ten-day academic summer institute that prepares high school juniors and seniors to make big life decisions and invites them to connect with the Orthodox Christian theological and spiritual tradition. Historically, CrossRoad has been hosted solely on the campus of Hellenic College Holy Cross; however in recent years, it has also been offered in Chicago on the campus of North Park University. Application Deadline is typically in February. For more information, visit www.crossroadinstitute.org; or, or call 617-850-1310.
- SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
- SUMMER PROGRAMS
The 2021 St. John Chrysostom Ascension Oratorical Festival took place in mid April. We thank our participants for sharing their God-given talents with us, and we appreciate all the time and dedication they put forth for their submissions. Their speeches, essays, poetry, chanting, and iconography were truly inspiring! A recording of this year's Oratorical program is available HERE and photos from this joyous event are posted in our website gallery HERE. Great job! The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese along with our Metropolis typically announces the St. John Chrysostom Oratorical Festival in February of March each year. Don’t miss the opportunity to show your God-given talents as a writer, speaker, artist and vocalist by participating in next year's program. Details will be posted when available.